Thursday, November 17, 2016

“ If it not right, do not do it; if it is not true, do nay say it,”

This statement by Marcus  Aurelius is significant and can impact our lives. When he states,”if it is not right do not do it” , he means that if you know that something is wrong and you know it, just don’t do it, because it can lead to consequences. For instance, if a so-called friend asks you to go to drink alcohol with him, it is better to not join him. It is not right to drink alcohol so do not do it. Worst case scenario, the person would say yes and join him for few minutes. However that is not the right thing to do. That is called bad-spirited. After Marcus stated the first parted, he then adds, “ if it is not true, do not say it.” If someone is lying and they are telling you to agree with them and say it, don’t say it. It is not true and that person will take you to the wrong path. It is dishonest. Marcus Aurelius is teaching us to choose the right and take the right path. If it is not the right thing to do , then don’t do it. If it is a lie, then don’t say it. Throughout my experience, I’ve learned that I was not supposed to go to my friend’s house without permission. If I do go, I would be disobeying and it is not the right thing to do. So I did not go without her permission. It is simple to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment